Many people who suffer from chronic pain isolate and become inactive because the pain is overpowering and uncontrollable. And because some of the reasons behind chronic pain can seem mysterious, finding effective medical care and understanding can be challenging. Some doctors tell patients their discomfort is in their heads or recommend complex operations. Too many will subscribe pain medications which can lead to dependency and other health issues.
What is one suffering from chronic pain to do?
Fortunately, chiropractic care procedures like those available at Akridge Chiropractic can help ease and manage your pain without surgery or risky pharmaceuticals. It’s safe and effective, and you can finally free yourself from the limitations set by chronic pain.
What Type of Pain Can Chiropractic Therapy Treat?
There are no set rules when it comes to chronic pain. Yet some common signs indicate its presence. Consistent discomfort that lasts for 12 weeks or more is one of the most significant indicators, along with persistent pain that can be described as sharp, dull, or burning.
Pain is the body’s warning sign and should not be ignored. Some doctors may overlook discomfort if there is no apparent underlying explanation, yet chronic pain could be your body’s reaction to an injury or sickness. Chronic pain may be caused by an injury that hasn’t fully healed, such as from sports injuries, car accidents, or incidents at home or work. Chronic pain could also be the result of lifestyle issues.
What’s more, chronic pain can occur anywhere in the body. Here are some of the most common :
- Headaches – Persistent headaches and migraine headaches—whether continuous or intermittent—can be considered forms of chronic pain that respond well to chiropractic therapy.
- Low Back Pain – This type of pain might appear while walking, sitting, sleeping, exercising, or driving. Patients who received chiropractic care for low-back pain reported less pain intensity, less impairment, more improvement in function, and better satisfaction with their treatments after just six weeks.
- Mid-Back Pain – Pain that occurs along the base of your neck and down to your rib cage is considered mid-back pain. Often, this is the result of undetected fractures, issues with poor posture, and excessive muscle strain.
- Pain in Extremities – Some people also experience chronic pain in the arms and legs. This commonly includes elbow pain, shoulder pain, and knee pain.
Diseases or disorders can also cause chronic pain. For example, many chiropractors treat chronic pain from degenerative disc disease, sciatica, spondylolisthesis, spondylosis, and kyphosis.
Treating Chronic Pain
Many physicians will subscribe pain medication to treat chronic pain, but medication only masks the pain and does not treat the source of the problem. The underlying issues may worsen over time without effective treatments that allow the body to repair itself.
Chiropractic care is a therapeutic approach to chronic pain relief. While treating pain is the primary objective, it goes deeper than that. For example, chiropractic treatment eliminates misalignments or spinal compressions that lead to pain and inflammation.
Once the source of the pain is determined, an experienced chiropractor can use a range of specialized techniques to relieve pressure or blockages from the problem area to increase blood flow and improve nerve function. In doing so, the body’s natural healing process can help keep chronic pain from returning.
How Do Chiropractors Know Where To Adjust?
When you visit Akridge Chiropractic, our specialists will conduct a thorough evaluation, including a medical history review, physical examination, and x-rays if needed.
To help identify the areas of your body that need adjustment, a chiropractor will examine the following:
- Joint and Body Palpation – This procedure involves using fingers to probe the body and evaluate motion. Palpation can also assess the texture, temperature, elasticity, and pulsations of muscle and bone in the body’s frontal, traverse, and sagittal planes. In addition, chiropractors use gentle or deep palpations to find uncomfortable tissues and misalignments.
- Range of Motion – Most problems that require a chiropractor affect your mobility and flexibility. The doctor will observe you performing different maneuvers to determine the most painful regions. They can pinpoint the problem by assessing your range of motion and determine the most appropriate treatment.
- Gait and Posture Check – Gait is your walking style, while posture is how you stand or sit. Chiropractors analyze gait and posture to determine where you might need adjusting. The chiropractor will watch how you walk, sit, squat, lean, stand, jog, and run to evaluate how your musculoskeletal system adapts to stress and pressure.
- Lab Imaging – If your chiropractor suspects inflammation or other advanced diseases, they may order x-rays to get a clearer picture of what’s happening. To help the chiropractor make this determination, accurately describing your symptoms and pains is essential.
Walk-In Service In Kennewick
You should seek effective treatment immediately if you suffer from chronic pain due to an accident or other medical issue. Akridge Chiropractic offers walk-in, same-day appointments and will do everything possible to accommodate your schedule.
We are conveniently located in Kennewick, WA, at 8511 W Clearwater Ave. For more information, contact us at 509-783-8145 or by email at email@example.com.